Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Boyfriend Hat

So this is what blogging is... this is my first blog.  I've never really understood the need to journal and have everyone read it, I always thought writing a diary was supposed to be private... I don't know how interesting this is going to turn out to be, I guess we'll find out..
I guess I could start by saying what's going on in my life lately.  I have a tiny son, he's 3.5 months old last Saturday.  I'm taking a small break from working while I bond with my cutie and filling my time with things like knitting, shopping, learning about John (I told you I have a son) and working out.  Pretty soon I'm going to get back to the other thing I love to do (I told you, I have a son, I love anything to do with him), which is acting.  I've acted since I was... almost before I could walk.  My mom's good friend's kids were in children's theater so I was there too, and ended up loving it.  
For now though, while my son needs me at home, I'm filling my time with other things, one being knitting.  I'm going to start a new project soon, called The Boyfriend Hat, and it's an easy to find pattern, I won't pretend I made it up.  I've seen several people claim they made the pattern up, but come on, that many people all made up the same pattern?  Nah.  Anyway, here's a fun, attractive hat to make for anyone you know, including yourself.  


Cast 100 stitches onto a circular needle using the cable cast on method.  Join to knit in the round, and mark where you started.  Starting row 1, K3 P2 (that's knit 3 stitches, purl 2 for any beginners out there) and repeat until the end of the row, then repeat row until your piece measures 5.5 inches.  
Decrease as follows: Row 1: *K3, P2, K2tog, K1, P2; repeat from * until end of row (90 sts remain <-- if you had CO 100 sts) 
Row 2: *K3, P2, K2tog, P2; repeat from * until end of row (80 sts remain) 
Row 3: *K3, P2, P2tog, P1; repeat from * until end of row (70 sts remain) 
Row 4: *K3, P2, P2tog; repeat from * until end of row (60 sts remain) 
Row 5: *K3, P1, P2tog; repeat from * until end of row (50 sts remain) 
Row 6: *K2tog, K1, P2; repeat from * until end of row (40 sts remain) 
Row 7: *K2tog, P2; repeat from * until end of row (30 sts remain)
Row 8: * K2tog, P1; repeat from * until end of row (20 sts remain)
Row 9: *K2tog; repeat from * until end of row (10 sts remain)
Row 10: *K2tog; repeat from * until end of row (5 sts remain)
Cut yarn leaving at least 6 inches for the tail, then weave in the remaining 5 stitches and pull closed.  Weave into WS of hat, and you have made the hat known as, The Boyfriend Hat.  


(Hat shown not from pattern.  But no one can
resist an adorable asian child ;-) )

(More closely pictured here.  DISCLAIMER: results
are subject to variation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment